My Mom's Dishes


My Mom's Dishes
My mom had this set of “good” dishes. They were hardly ever used them…Maybe on Christmas or Thanksgiving. We never took pictures of the table settings or any celebrations at the table - wish we had, it would be pretty special if I could put one on this blog. The dishes were always stored in a “china” cabinet my dad made with sliding glass doors. I acquired the entire set several years back when my sister sent them to me. I just love them. They are bright and colorful, and I treasure them because they were my mom’s. 
 
In 2006, my teeth almost fell out when I saw this article in Better Homes and Gardens Magazine.
These are my mom’s dishes! They were designed by a famous Artist Viktor Schreckengost. Ok, he may be famous, but I had never heard of him before this. He actually designed the first banana seat bike in the 60’s along with lots of other things. Viktor designed the American Limoges Bermuda pattern/Triumph design dishes, and they were produced in 1937. They appeared on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens in 1939 as shown in the picture above.

My mom’s dishes are now displayed in my “China” cabinet. The rest of the set is stored in my kitchen cabinets. The huge large platter comes out every time I cook a turkey. I’ve also use all the serving pieces with my own “good” plain white  dishes. Here is a picture of my mom’s dishes displayed in my dining room.
 
  Well, I searched and actually found a not so great picture of my mom’s dishes in the home-made “china” cabinet from 1969. There’s a table in front with my wedding gifts, but the "china" cabinet behind shows the dishes. Gees...it looks to me like my mom actually had plastic bags over the dishes in the cabinet! Good Grief! Guess it is no surprise because she always had special covers thrown over the couch and chair in the living room so they don’t get "worn" out. All that must come from living through the depression. Take care of your stuff! You never know when they will show up on a blog!

4 comments:

Sheri Jacks said...

That's so special, Shirley! You have a treasure... Retirement back-up! Back in 1969 when we got married my Mom make a shrine of our one-car garage with all of our wedding presents... I guess she invited people in so they would be sure to see that we had received them! The thank you's back then went out the same day we received the gift. :)

Shoobie said...

The gifts were moved to the other side of the room in a later picture. I did not "register"...My mom told everyone to get anything Orange, my favorite color at the time. There were orange flowered melmac dishes, Orange glasses, orange canisters, orange everything! Everything was so fun, but I'm over my orange phase. :-) I don't think people display wedding gifts anymore.

nancy likens bell said...

We still use my mother's best dishes, which were my grandmother's best dishes. Ours do not have a famous designer, but it is the memories and love. Your mother's dishes are beautiful. She always did have a special flare.

Shoobie said...

Nancy, Love that you still use your grandmother's dishes! My mom had a crazy flare! :-) Wish I had known her longer - lost her when I was 21. You are so fortunate to have your mom! She is one of my all time favorite people-Lots of great memories at your house growing up.