Underwater Photography - Summer of 2017

A couple months ago I saw some underwater photos of kids on Instagram. I'm pretty sure the photographers used housing for a full DSLR camera with underwater flash, and some used a GoPro with underwater housing. Both options gave super sharp photos.

I decided to give it  a try to try using the camera I already have. A few years ago, I purchased an inexpensive waterproof case for my little Sony Point and Shoot camera to take on vacation. The Sony is about 7 years old, and I purchased the case on Amazon for about $15. It was the least expensive option to take photos in the water. 

Having willing kiddos to pose has been the best part. All shots were taken at local pools in The Woodlands Texas. Would love to have a better camera to get sharper photos, but...The Best Camera is The One You Have Right Now!


 After several blurred and dark photos, I finally realized that keeping the flash turned on underwater works so much better.


"Hold hands and go down at the same time so I get you both together!" Here's the result...
Yes! Finally got three together! Told them to go under holding on to the side.
It kind of worked!

Played around with changing some of the photos to a Black & White look. 




I think there should be some Jaws music playing for this fun underwater photo! 

She's looking pretty serious about this underwater photography stuff.
This may be my favorite one. 

This is not an underwater photo, but it's pure Super Summer Fun! Got a little practice with my new 85mm 1.8 lens for my Canon 6D. She was so good doing it over and over!
Love taking pool shots. 


Here's the camera I used for the underwater photos. You can buy the case on Amazon. There are other brands and types available. No way would I buy a case for my Canon DSLR and take it under water. My little Sony was just sotred for several years just begging to be used again. Some of the cases offered can be used for cell phones. The instructions that came with my case suggested putting a tissue or two inside the case, seal it up and submerge in water for a while to be sure there are no leaks before using with a camera. Good Advice!





2 comments:

Vanessa Houk said...

Great post!!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting article. Can't wait to give it "a shot".