Chris’s Seafood Restaurant, Ocean City, NJ

Chris’s Seafood Restaurant, Ocean City, NJ

Yeah! I found a picture I found of my sister Joan, her son Kevin and me enjoying a dinner at Chris's. The picture was taken in August, 1964. I remember buying that purse on the table at a store on the boardwalk. Our Ocean City summer place was located at 56th Street on the south end of the island. There were not many restaurants or stores. The boardwalk started on about 18th Street. We did not go out to dinner very often, but once every summer my parents would take the family to Chris’s Seafood Restaurant. It was located on 9th Street and the bay not far from the 9th Street Bridge. Ocean City was and still is a “dry” island. No alcohol can be purchased at all, so it is not served at any of the restaurants. It’s a very family friendly island.

I so wish we had taken some pictures of one of our yearly dinners at Chris’s Seafood Restaurant. I can still remember the round metal tables and chairs set under an awning. It was not fancy, just good seafood. I remember that we always had fried flounder and French fries. I kind of remember some kind of good rolls, not sure about that. It was a long time ago...
One year, again no pictures, my parents sprung for us to go on a ride on the Flying Saucer speed boat. It took off right from Chris’s. Very exciting…It left the bay and went out in the ocean and sped all the way down to about 55th Street and turned around to go back to the restaurant. You were sure to get wet.

Here’s a picture I found of Chris’s Seafood Restaurant. It shows the awning in the back and the Flying Saucer speedboat in the front. Just a memory of some fun times in Ocean City. Chris’s is no longer there, they sold out years ago, and the property is now condos or apartments.

8 comments:

Vanessa Houk said...

so fun!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember a 25c MOLD-A-RAMA plastic injection molding vending machine at Chris'? It would have vended a hollow plastic replica of the FLYING SAUCER. If so, PLEASE email me at MoldvilleMachine@gmail.com

Davis said...

Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Tandoori Chef which is An authentic North Indian, fine dining restaurant, Tandoori Chef offers Hackensack and the surrounding area a wonderful taste of Indian cuisine.

holly123 said...

Hi! This might be a long shot but im looking for a picture of Chris' restaurant or his flying saucer boat to give to my dad for christmas. if anyone knows where I could find one, or if there's some way I could use the one that is in color at the bottom of the text that would be fantastic!! thank you!

Shoobie said...

Try this link!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saucer/4029229451/in/photostream/

holly123 said...

This is perfect thank you so so much!

Shoobie said...

Chris's was a really fun place. I have great memories. It's amazing what you can find online!

holly123 said...

I know it's great. Finding your blog was a lifesaver. Thanks again I think my dad's really going to like it.