"Sheet" Crick!


Shit Crick (Yes, that is what my mom called it)
We had some Crab for dinner tonight. It brought back memories of my mom cooking crabs in Ocean City, NJ in the 1950's.

When I was growing up, we would spend every summer at our house at 5613 Asbury Avenue in Ocean City, NJ. I was probably 5 or 6 years old when my brother Bob and sister Joan discovered this crick (Creek...for non Philly people) a block away behind West Avenue. They used to catch the largest and most delicious crabs. They would set traps and catch these wonderful crabs, bring them home for my mom would cook them up! Well, come to find out, the creek was the place where all the cesspools and septic tanks from the south end Ocean City spitted out their very fertile surplus. Probably supplied tasty stuff for the yummy crabs to feed on. Thank goodness I hated most seafood at the time, so I never tried them.

Ok, this was before the EPA and any regulations. Who knows what was released in the cricks and rivers of our county. Bob and Joan are lucky to have survived Shit Crick!

My sister has told me this story many times. We have laughed about Mom bragging about the huge tasty crabs Bob and Joan caught at Shit Crick.

Here's a picture of the Crab we had tonight. They came frozen in a package from Sams's Club. Who knows where the heck Sam's found them. Hopefully not in a Shit Crick!

No comments: