Vintage Ocean City Beach Pictures

Vintage Ocean City Beach Pictures

I have to start with 1926...This is a picture of my mom. Not sure if it was taken in Ocean City. Probably not. I think her mom was born in Atlantic City, but not a lot of history written about those day. My mom died when I was 21, so I did not really get to have a lot of time to ask her about the old pictures. Not many pics from back then, but I'm lucky to have a copy of this one.

 1950... (I'm guessing on most of the years. Not a lot of dates on the pics.)
 Oh my gosh, Did thay drag this PlayPen to the beach??? Let me out of here, I want to go swimming!

Here is a very modern stroller! Bet it was not fun pushing it through the sand. These pictures were taken at 57th Street beach in Ocean city.
Here's my mom and me in 1950 at the beach in Ocean City.

1952...A good year for beach pictures
My mom sure liked getting her picture taken!

Here I am with my brother Bob at 57th Street Beach.
I don't look real happy here. Who knows?
1953....
This is my mom and dad.
Nothing better than an soda at the beach!
1955 (I think)...I remember when the following picture was taken. My brother Richard, bottom row 2nd from left, was leaving for or returning from the Army.  (This is one of the few pics I have of him at the beach. He hates the beach.) They had a "Luau" party for my brother and his friends.  At least two of the ladies were my mom's friend. Armena and Ruth were good friends who spent every summer in Ocean City. Armena Levonian was Armenian. How funny is that? They were the nicest people. They owned a house across the alley from us. They had a daughter a year older than me, and I used to hang around with her.
1956...
This is my mom, dad and me at 56th Street Beach.
Here's a picture of mom, my brother Bob, dad and me.
Not sure who I am with here. I think she was some girl whol lived down the back alley from me. We used to love riding the waves with our rafts.
Ok, I'm starting to pose for pics like my mom.... :-)

1957...
This is my sister Joan and me.
Here's my mom, smoking on the beach. Uggg...It's no wonder I never even tried smoking....
1959....
That's my sister Joan on the right and Armena next to her. Who knows who the other people are???
My Dad, Mom and me. 56th Street beach.
Mom, her friend Ruth and that's my brother Richard on the right.
1960...
Ruth, my mom's friend, Mom, Dad, me.
Not very many pics after this. It was diffent times...not as many pictures taken. Not like today with the digital pics! I'm almost sorry I found the "Burst" option on my Sony digital camera. I have thousands of pics now of everything. It's nice to be able to treasure the few pictures we have from the past and remember the good times.

8 comments:

Vanessa Houk said...

Great pics and stories.

Shoobie said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love them. Great family pictures. Really wonderful to see how much you were loved, and enjoyed growing up near a great beach.
Memories with family; happy times

Shoobie said...

Thanks! It's fun to remember the good old days!

msquare_arizona said...

Shirley, Just catching up on a few blogs. Loved the old photos. The swim suits you Mother wore are back in style. I had very similar ones in the 50's.

Maybe we were better off without all the technology we have today?

Shoobie said...

Yes, I've seen a pic on Pinterest of the same suit. It's just fun to remember and it's good to have some of the technology to be able to share memories! :-)

beachgal said...

Love the sunsuit in the 1953 photos -- I lived in those in the early 50s - and I sure remember the playpen on the beach! I was born during the War and we had a playpen for my sister on the beach most every day in the early 50s when she came along - we lived right on the beach in the So. Bay area of Los Angeles - never used any sunscreen then on myself or my sis back then! We used to have a little board to lay over the playpen for some shade for her.

beachgal said...

Love the sunsuit in the 1953 photos -- I lived in those in the early 50s - and I sure remember the playpen on the beach! I was born during the War and we had a playpen for my sister on the beach most every day in the early 50s when she came along - we lived right on the beach in the So. Bay area of Los Angeles - never used any sunscreen then on myself or my sis back then! We used to have a little board to lay over the playpen for some shade for her.