Chapel by the Sea-Ocean City, NJ


I have some great memories of the Chapel by the Sea located 55th and Asbury from the 1950s and early 60s. I remember they had a Peaches and Ice Cream social thing every summer. I went one year when my mom helped cut up the peaches-This memory came to mind as I was slicing some peaches for breakfast this morning. I remember thinking the peaches and ice cream at the church was one of best desserts ever. 

I remember Sunday School classes and having the best teacher-he got us interested in reading the Bible and he told the best Bible stories. His dad or father-in-law owned Kleemans, the small corner store at 56th street. 

I see, in the only photo I could find online, the Chapel by the sea has been remodeled and updated and thank goodness still going. I remember the wooden chairs and the slight musty smell of the inside of the church because I'm pretty sure they closed down every winter back then. It was one large room with wood paneling. I remember they always sang the best songs in sweet little church.